A rocket mass heater is a heater that is supposedly supper efficient at combustion and is able to heat a home with much less wood and pollution than a conventional wood burning stove or fireplace. I’ll say at the get go that I’m a little skeptical about a lot of the claims that I have been reading on-line, such as:
- heat your home with 80% to 90% less wood
- Use twigs instead of wood to heat your home
- exhaust is nearly pure steam and CO2
- 90% efficient at burning wood
- the heat from one fire can last for days
- you can build one in a day and half
- folks have built them spending less than $20
There is a lot of discussion of different designs on the web. I started looking into it at the beginning of the month, and I was “hooked”. I had to give it a try.
To explain what a rocket mass heater is, I put together a post that explains the concept and why it is so effective. Rocket Mass Heaters – What in the world is that?
Phase 1 involved making the heat riser and burn tunnel. I made these using a special mixture of vermiculite and portland cement. You can see the full details here: Rocket Mass Heater – Phase 1
I would really like to use one of these heaters for an aquaponics greenhouse during the winter.